Mini split HVAC systems are also called ductless systems, and they can cool or heat your home or office efficiently without ductwork. These systems are typically considered for new additions to a house that do not have ductwork instead of using a window unit. They consist of a wall-mounted indoor unit combined with an outdoor compressor. Mini split systems are energy efficient and environmentally friendly but might not be the best choice for everyone. Here are some pros and cons of mini split systems to help you weigh your options, according to the experts at Allied Services, Inc.
- Ductless units require only a small hole to be drilled into the wall for installation thus creating less air leakage than window units.
- Ductless units are less visible and much quieter than window units.
- Ductless systems are more energy efficient than systems using ductwork. According to HGTV.com, if you purchase an ENERGY STAR ductless model, you can save up to 30 percent on heating and cooling costs for the space in question, and you may qualify for a federal tax credit and local utility incentives as well.
- Mini split systems cost more up front than window units and ducted units. You will save more in the long run with energy efficiency, but it will cost you significantly more up front.
- Ductless systems require monthly cleaning and maintenance to keep them working properly. Fortunately, you can do the cleaning yourself, but if you ignore it, you’ll end up spending hundreds to have a professional come to repair the damage.
- Because the unit is essentially a white box that is attached to the wall and cannot be covered, it is not exactly aesthetically pleasing. However, many homeowners who have made the switch to a mini split system say they were concerned about aesthetics at first but do not notice the unit anymore.
Allied Services, Inc. has been installing mini split systems in the Dayton, Ohio area since 1955 and are the experts in the heating and cooling business. To learn more about ductless systems and the wide variety of options available to you, contact us today at (937) 836-5191.