In the middle of such a fickle spring — 70 degrees one day and a rainy 40 degrees the next — your air conditioner
may be the last thing on your mind. However, if you take care of your AC
now, it will take care of you later.
Most people wait to turn on their air conditioning
until the summer sun is in full force. But what if it doesn’t work? Then a sweaty day is in the forecast. Spring is the best time to prep for the summer heat. Get ready for this summer by cleaning your outside unit and scheduling a professional to inspect your HVAC
Throughout the summer your outdoor AC unit is constantly exposed to dirt, debris, and other natural elements that cause buildup in the fan. Cottonwood trees, dandelion fluff, and grass clippings are some of the worst offenders. Some buildup will reduce your AC’s efficiency. Lots of buildup could cause the unit to shut down or break.
While you can’t prevent grass clippings from getting into your air conditioner, you can clean it. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Shut off the electrical power that leads to the unit.
2. Remove the outer casing of the AC unit so you have access to everything inside.
3. Clean the fan, removing dirt with a rag. You can also vacuum the inside to remove any excess dirt.
4. Spray the coils and fins clean with a hose. This removes any debris or pollens that have accumulated. You don’t have to use any cleaner; pure water normally does the job. Before you begin spraying, make sure to cover any exposed wires (if applicable).
5. Reassemble the unit and enjoy increased efficiency!
In addition to this do-it-yourself cleaning, make sure to have a professional HVAC company
inspect your cooling system annually, especially before summer begins. They can catch problem areas and fix them before they become huge issues.
If your heating
and cooling system needs a checkup or some repair work, contact
Allied Services at (937) 269-5059
. We’ve been serving Dayton, OH
, and the surrounding areas for over 57 years and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. Schedule an appointment today with www.heating-air-conditioning-dayton.com
; we look forward to serving you.